On a recent visit to California, I had the opportunity to meet with representatives from several companies including Google, Quiksilver, The Broad Residency, and DreamWorks Animation. While these companies represent a wide-array of fields, their message was consistent.
When asked, “What advice would you give college/graduate students?” two common themes emerged from each company - complete an internship and build a professional network. Both of these are components that can be accomplished at the Internship Fair scheduled for this Thursday from 1:00pm to 3:30pm in Fletcher Lounge. The Internship Fair has over 50 organizations registered! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to network and learn about internship opportunities.
Did you know?
- 88% of employers use experiential education programs to recruit for their own work forces;
- 50% of interns accept full-time positions with internship employer;
- Over 80% of college students complete one internship;
- 69% of college students complete two internships;
- Starting salaries are $1,000 – $2,000 more than students without internship experience;
- 16% more job offers to student who had completed internships.
Before you go:
- Check HIRE-UT to review the list of companies who are registered for the Internship Fair. Research the companies you are most interested in.
- Bring copies of your resume! Resume critiques are available in the Office of Career Services during walk-in hours (Monday through Thursday from 2:00pm to 4:00pm).
- Prepare to network with employers and your peers.
- Dress for success! Review our blogs posts on professional dress.
Best of luck!
Data retrieved from: National Association of Colleges and Employers, Job Outlook 2010 Internship Bible, and VaultReports.com