Wednesday, October 29, 2014

How Selecting Classes WILL Impact YOUR Career


Its nearly that time of year again!   Just when you think you were in the middle of another semester at UT with midterms, papers and team projects, you turn around and its time to pick Spring 2015 classes already.    This advice goes in the category of “do as I say” not “do as I do”.   It’s time to re-think your classes as you plan for your future.   With major related and core classes at the center of attention this time of year, try thinking about what additional classes you can take that will provide you with a better set of skills for your future.  This advice is coming from someone who took ice skating in college his Junior year instead of thinking ahead to things including IT classes, adding a minor or other relevant classes that could have provided more for me as a person and job seeker.  
 
As you look to complete your schedules this semester and into the future, I challenge you to work with your advisors to identify some additional classes (as they fit) that will serve you in the long-term.   Adding a minor in MIS, taking a class in Sociology or adding a graphic design oriented class could have a tremendous positive impact in the future as the world of work continually evolves.   While I enjoyed skating on ice and collecting my credit, I often wonder how I could have made better use of my time in college instead of taking some “fluff” type classes that didn’t enhance my skills.   Take a chance and think outside the box, your future self will thank you for it.  Best of luck with midterms, projects and the bi-annual ritual of selecting classes.  


 
Mark Colvenbach
Director, Office of Career Services
The University of Tampa

No comments:

Post a Comment