The Professional Job Fair is only a few days away! Appropriate attire is a key ingredient to effectively navigating a career fair – after all, this is often an employer’s first impression of you! To help you prepare, we’ve compiled some tips on how to dress for success.
When attending a career fair, business professional attire is required.
Business professional attire for women:
- Business Suit in dark colors such as black, navy, or gray. If wearing a skirt suit be sure that the skirt is knee level or slightly above – no short skirts! Also, be sure to wear a tailored blouse underneath. Avoid low-cut tops.
- Closed-toe leather pumps with low to medium heels.
- Jewelry – generally, a good rule-of-thumb is no more than three pieces of jewelry (e.g., earrings, watch, and ring). Jewelry should be understated and appropriate for the workplace.
- In addition, make sure your make-up and nail polish is neutral and professional.
Business professional attire for men:
- Business Suit in dark colors such as black, navy, or gray. If you do not own a suit, you can pair a long-sleeve dress shirt with a pair of dress pants.Long-sleeved starched oxford cloth shirt in white or light blue.
- Conservative necktie in color and pattern.
- Dress shoes – make sure your shoes are polished and well-maintained (i.e., no holes!).
- Over-the-calf dark socks.
Additional tips to remember:
- A friendly smile and eye contact will make you stand out!;
- Bring a briefcase or portfolio (no backpack);
- Well-groomed hairstyle - avoid unusual styles & colors;
- Wear minimal cologne or perfume;
- No visible body piercing or body art;
- Bring breath mints; use one before greeting recruiter. Do not chew gum!