One of the most popular social networking tools for students and professionals is LinkedIn. LinkedIn offers you the ability to manage your online professional profile while connecting with colleagues, classmates, professors, community members, and employers. If you have not yet created a LinkedIn profile, or would like to enhance your existing profile, here are some tips:
- Ensure your profile headline is informative and professional.
- Include a professional photo. Ideally photos should be high-quality, close range (think headshot), and free of distractions - including other people or pets! If you do not have a professional headshot, the Office of Career Services will be taking pictures for students’ LinkedIn profiles at the Professional Job Fair (October 17, 2012) and the Etiquette Dinner (November 9, 2012). If you are interested in learning more about the Etiquette Dinner please stop by the Office of Career Services (RIVC 116) for registration information.
- Highlight your education. Include information about your degree, major or concentration, minor (if applicable), GPA, and honors/awards.
- Document your experience. Include part-time, full-time, and internship positions. Seek recommendations from employers, colleagues, and supervisors at each position.
- Customize your public profile URL within the account settings section. Your public profile URL should be professional in nature (e.g., contain elements of your name or initials) so that you can refer others to view your profile online.
For more tips and strategies on how to build your profile on LinkedIn, click here.